Monday 1 July 2013

Shabby Chic Deco Altered Box

Hello everyone!

Wow! It has been quite some time since I had posted anything huh? This is mainly because most of the time was spent on my latest project, which I am quite happy to announce that it is finally finished! What is my latest project you may ask? Well I am quite sure that you will be able to guess from just the title itself that I have been working on another type of box, but this time with a twist: shabby chic style!

Why the sudden change in style? Well I had figured that since I had gone all full-blown hime on the previous box, I might as well change it up with this box. As much as I love pink as the next girl, some occasional splashes of other colours doesn't hurt either. Plus, I still have other roses of different colours still stored up in my crafting bin, so it will be more of simply trying out other colours and seeing what works.

Anyway, remember the trip that my parents had been on? If not, they had basically gotten me a bunch of gifts from their state visit. In those pile of gifts was a themed souvenir box filled with a couple of different items, which can vary depending on certain colours or age groups. I had gotten the "classic/feminine" box, which contains a rhinestone studded watch, a key necklace, and a bracelet.


I had long taken out the items from the box, but wasn't quite sure what to do with the box itself. I didn't have the heart to just throw it away. Ever since I had gotten into the crafting scene, I had been careful with what I throw away, since just about anything can be reused in some form or another. Plus, it is a great form of recycling!


I eventually decided to alter it. The box depth is just enough for me to be able to put any of my jewellery inside and used it as a jewellery box. I usually keep all of my shorter necklaces, bracelets, and rings on a shelf. The necklaces are displayed on a necklace display, but all of my bracelets and rings are pretty much scattered all over the shelf. The box will be a perfect way to store them! 

After the revelation, I started taking out anything that is not part of the box until I am only left with the box itself, as shown above. A full week of modifications later, I end up creating this. 


Here are some detailed shots of the box up close.





The inside of the box.


The box in action. Depending on if I want to display the bracelets or not, I might keep the box open!


Since the vintages boxes that I had seen usually have a vintage picture of some sort on them, I decided to incorporate a picture of Marie Antoinette, mainly due to not being able to find a decent vintage photo online. As for the excess amount of roses that I had used for this project, I unfortunately don't have anything else shabby chic-related that I can use other than the roses, such as lace appliques, venice lace trim, fabric flowers with button centres, butterflies, etc. So, sad to say, I could only stick with roses for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...